Thursday, October 18, 2012

Banana Oatmeal Cookies


You can always tell when Giz is visiting by looking in my fridge.  Not only will it contain items that I rarely (if ever) purchase -- like cilantro or huge jars of roasted red pepper -- it will be so full that you can hardly find anything.  As you can imagine, Giz and I have had a few conversations about this.  It hasn't quite stuck yet.


Seeing as I'm not housing a barrel of monkeys, we ended up with an overabundance of bananas.  Lucky for Giz, I didn't complain about this because bananas are one ingredient of which I don't mind having extras.  They're easy to freeze and go great in baking when they're overripe.

In fact, I was so excited to bake these (my first baking since E was born), I even offered to be Giz's "kitchen bitch," the name we give to the person who gets the ingredients out and keeps things clean while the other person actually prepares the recipe.

Banana Oatmeal Cookies

1 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 cup shortening
1 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 cup of mashed bananas
1 3/4 quick cooking oats
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
  2. Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon.
  3. Cream together the shortening and sugar; beat until light and fluffy. Add egg, banana, oatmeal and nuts. Mix well.
  4. Add dry ingredients, mix well and drop by the teaspoon on ungreased cookie sheet.
  5. Bake at 400 degrees F (200 degrees C) for 15 minutes or until edges turn lightly brown. Cool on wire rack. Store in a closed container.





Verdict: delicious!  We actually added raisins to one batch and chocolate chips to another.  Both tasted really good.
StumbleUpon

4 comments:

MommyLisa said...

I would love them - but I would need the chocolate chips to get the family to love them. ;)

That Girl said...

We have bananas in my freezer right now!

grace said...

um...where can i find my very own kitchen bitch? i need one. :)

rented life said...

Giz, you are more than welcome to come stock my fridge if you are bored :)

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
Share/Bookmark