Wednesday, June 6, 2012

June Cooking Light - Lemon Almond Tarts



The days are getting longer and the weeks are flying faster and faster. Before we turn around Val will be on her bucket list trip to the Amalfi coast. I'm mentioning Val's trip since June's theme for the Cooking Light Virtual Supper Club is hers and interesting that we'd be focusing on Mediterranean style dishes. Since it's likely the only trip I'm taking to Italy this year, virtual is good.

I combed the recipes of Cooking Light and found this recipe for Lemon Almond Tarts that was begging be to give it a try.  It was just so easy to make.



Ingredients 

1/2 cup blanched almonds
3 tablespoons brown sugar
36 vanilla wafers
1/4 cup butter, melted
Cooking spray
1 (10-ounce) jar lemon curd
3 large egg whites
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup water

Preparation


1. Preheat oven to 400°.
2. Combine first 3 ingredients in a food processor; process until finely ground. With motor on, drizzle butter through food chute; process until blended. Press about 1/4 cup crumbs into the bottom and up sides of each of 8 (4-inch) tart pans coated with cooking spray.
Bake at 400° for 10 minutes or until toasted. Cool.
3. Preheat broiler.
4. Spoon curd evenly into crusts.
Place egg whites and salt in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until soft peaks form. Combine granulated sugar and 1/4 cup water in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook, without stirring, until a thermometer registers 250°. Pour hot syrup in a thin stream over egg whites, beating until stiff peaks form. Spread egg white mixture over tarts. Broil 30 seconds or until lightly browned



Want to see what the others are doing?  Check them out.  If you close your eyes, you might be able to hear the waves of the ocean on the coast.  

Making this tart was fun - just be careful to get it out of the oven before the top starts to get a little too brown - but we won't discuss that here and I can't possibly repeat what came out of my mouth when the golden brown was starting to be more than golden.

Val of More Than Burnt Toast provided our main dish of   Chicken with Olives and Lemons and Fresh Mediterranean Salad 

Sandi of Whistlestop Cafe Cooking made a treat of Warm Olives. I admit I've never tried warm olives but now have a mission for something new to me.

Jerry of Jerry's Thoughts, Musings and Rants made a gorgeous Classic Tzatziki and served it with warm pita.
StumbleUpon

6 comments:

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Your tart looks absolutely amazing Giz!!! Lemon meringue is my pie of choice!!!!!

Anonymous said...

that looks so elegant! thanks for sharing! yum!

Betsy said...

This looks delish! Definitely adding it to my "must make" list

That Girl said...

I love these longer days

Nick said...

Mmm, that looks delicious and simple! I never thought I liked lemon desserts until I had a lemon cake recently that was incredible. I gotta try this one...

Anonymous said...

This tart looks amazing - I could use a piece for breakfast right now (yes, love pie for breakfats. LOL)

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
Share/Bookmark