Thursday, May 10, 2012

Breakfast Egg Muffins





How many times have you heard people tell you that breakfast is the most important meal of the day?  Until a few years ago breakfast for me was coffee - not smart.  Now I make a point of getting my metabolism in full gear within an hour of waking up.

I'm also a President's Choice kinda gal.  Anything I want I generally can find there.  Don't get me wrong - I don't agree with everything PC does.  I wish they'd stop selling garlic from China but I guess I have the choice of just not buying it there.   Our local garlic is so much better and also supports our local farmers.  The interesting products I find far out weigh the one or two differences of opinion that we have.

Now that Psychgrad is expecting, I've been working on recipes that are nutritious and can be frozen so that she and "R" can have readily available good quality meals ready during the sleep deprivation stage.  I mean, who really thinks about cooking and nutrition when all you want to do is sleep?

Today I made breakfast cups that are full of goodness, can easily be frozen and reheat well.

Ingredients

9 eggs
6 strips turkey bacon, fried and diced small
1/2 cup 1% milk
1 pepper, diced (I used an orange one)
6 leaves of  basil, cut very small
1/4 cup minced scallions
1/2 cup PC tex mex cheese

Preheat oven to 350 F

Spray a tray (6) of extra large muffin cups with non stick spray (or 12 small muffin cups)
Mix all the ingredients together except for the cheese
Fill the muffin cups to 1/2 inh of the top and spread a little cheese on each one

Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until tops turn a golden brown.
Wait a couple of minutes before you take the muffins out of the tins, using a knife to loosen the sides.
Yumalicious and you don't need carbs to go with it.
StumbleUpon

5 comments:

That Girl said...

I'm so afraid to freeze eggs! These don't get a weird consistency after defrosting?

giz said...

That Girl - I froze them, took one out and warmed it in the toaster oven and it's just fine.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

They do sound delicious Giz! I am sure that Psychgrad and R know they are very lucky to have you!

Anonymous said...

Poop garlic from China?!?! Yeah, I only buy local garlic.

kat said...

yum, that is the kind of breakfast i love.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
Share/Bookmark