Thursday, May 17, 2012

Chicken Enchilladas


Since I've discovered the flavours of Mexico I've become a little crazy about trying everything I can.  What have I been doing all my life without having such wonderful combinations in my menu planning.  You also have heard me talk about my newest addiction to Pinterest.  It's really quite addictive finding new recipes and great ideas.  I'd seen enchilladas everywhere and .... well... the rest is just history.

I made sure I had the right ingredients in the house and decided it was time to give this one a whirl.  While taking out the ingredients, I got distracted and put away the enchillada sauce.  Have you seen it?  No?  Neither have I.  I'm sure I put it somewhere but honestly, I can't find it anywhere.  One of these days it'll turn up in a cupboard or freezer somewhere.  So, what to do?  I had a jar of President's Choice Corn and Black Bean Salsa - Mild and decided that this would be the new version of enchillada sauce.  




Ingredients:

2 skinless boneless chicken breasts
1 bottle White Corn and Black Bean salsa
1/2 cup chicken broth or water
8 oz. combination of cheddar and monterey jack cheese
jalapenos for more heat, garnish or not
8 large whole wheat  tortillas

How to:
Preheat oven to 450 F.
Spray a 9x13 pan with non stick
In a deep skillet pour in the salsa and water.  Cook the breasts in the salsa for about 20 minutes at medium.
Shred the chicken and divide to the 8 tortillas.  Top with a little cheese on each one and roll up. 
Put half of the salsa on the bottom of your 9x13 and add your enchilladas seam side down in your pan.
Top with remaining sauce and sprinkle cheese over the top.


Bake uncovered for 15-20 minutes (depending on how brown you like your cheese)



I'm really such a novice when it comes to this cuisine but this was so easy and so flavourful. I'll definitely be making this one again and again. StumbleUpon

3 comments:

Patsyk said...

Enchiladas are really a simple dinner, but I tend to forget about them until I see a post like this or a photo on Pinteret! Looks like my kind of meal!

That Girl said...

you'll find that sauce as soon as you stop looking.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I have tried a similar salsa Giz and it makes for an easy and quick meal. I stack the tortillas one on top of the other with a little cheese between each layer ...so same concept.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
Share/Bookmark