Saturday, July 23, 2011

Zucchini Banana Bread with Walnuts and Raisins


During a recent stumble browse I came upon a beautiful sounding recipe from Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice for a healthy version of Zucchini Banana Bread. I've used zucchini for baking before in a Zucchini Pumpkin Cake and loved the texture and flavour and really wondered if changing up the fat contents would make a huge difference in the final product. I was really so pleased with the results.



(adapted from King Arthur Flour)

2 eggs
1/4 cup honey
1 cup banana
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup whole wheat pastry or white whole wheat flour (like King Arthur)
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 heaping cup zucchini (1 small to medium), shredded
3/4 cup raisins (I like golden)
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped

1. Preheat oven to 350°F; lightly grease a standard sized loaf pan.
2. In a large mixing bowl beat eggs, banana, honey, sugar, and vanilla until smooth.
3. In a separate bowl whisk the flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon together. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet mixture, then stir in the zucchini, raisins and walnuts.
5. Pour batter into pan. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean from center. Cool pan on wire rack for 20 minutes then turn out from pan and cool completely on wire rack.



Another wonderful easy recipe with guaranteed good results. StumbleUpon

7 comments:

That Girl said...

Now I think you should add chocolate chips to it - you know, to balance out the fat you're saving!

Peter G | Souvlaki For The Soul said...

Looks moist, healthy and delicious too. These are some of my favourite ingredients.

PG said...

That's funny. R and I were just talking about making a zucchini banana bread today. He wanted me to look up a recipe and I was feeling too lazy to bother. Great timing!

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

Mmmmmmmm, lovely and just look at that slice :)

Hopie said...

Mmm, that sounds really good. I'm going to have to bookmark. I love zucchini bread and I love banana bread and now I won't have to choose between the two!

FOODalogue said...

mmm...I love something like this with a shmear!

grace said...

this has everything...except chocolate. how about a few chocolate chips thrown in? then, how about shmearing it with peanut butter? too much? nah. :)

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
Share/Bookmark