Thursday, May 19, 2011

Rhubarb Strawberry Crumble Pie




Spring cleaning promises to inspire these days. I found some rhubarb in the freezer that really wanted to be made into something. I didn't have a great deal of time to fuss so I looked around for a recipe that could be quick and get the job done. The recipe I chose is from All Recipes and not only was it super easy, the outcome was fantastic.

The recipe does call for fresh rhubarb but I found that using the frozen was fine. I just thawed and drained it before mixing with the strawberries. Apparently this recipe won first prize at a church fair - how bad could it be?

1 egg
1 cup sugar
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 lb fresh rhubarb, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 pint fresh strawberries, halved
1 (9 inch) unbaked pie shell

Topping
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
1/2 cup cold butter

In a large mixing bowl, beat egg. Add the sugar, flour and vanilla; mix ell. Gently fold in rhubarb and strawberries. Pour into pastry shell.

For topping, combine flour, brown sugar and oats in a small bowl; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over fruit. Bake at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees F and bake for 35 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Cool on a wire rack.

StumbleUpon

4 comments:

That Girl said...

I don't even know where I'd find frozen rhubarb! Luckily the fresh stuff is at all the farmers markets right now.

kat said...

We always freeze some rhubarb to make treats like this in the winter

test it comm said...

This is my favourite spring flavour combo! The rhubarb is here and I am just waiting for the strawberries.

Mrs. L said...

One of my favorite flavor combinations is strawberries and rhubarb. I never thought about freezing some rhubarb, I'll have to see if there are any left at the market but I may have missed it this year.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
Share/Bookmark