Thursday, February 24, 2011

Jewish Minestrone Soup




I fall into the category of people who could have soup every day. I've been hanging with the golden girls as a babysitter/general slave but no complaints - I'm in southern California escaped from the brutality of Canadian winter. My mother's friend "R", not to be mistaken with Psychgrad's "R" showed me her version of Minnestrone soup. We call it Jewish Minestrone and it's quite different than the Italian version that we're all very familiar with. It all begins with 2 packages of Manishewitz Minnestrone dry soup mix.


2 pkg Manischewitz Minnestrone soup mix
3 carrots, diced
3 medium sized diced potatoes
1 head cut cauliflower
1.5 pints sliced button mushrooms
6-8 cups water
1 tsp of granular chicken broth (such as Maggi or Osem)



Take both packages of the soup mix and add to the bottom of the pot.



Add cold water to fill a large pot approximately 2/3 full, keeping in mind you're adding a number of vegetables.
Bring soup mix with water to a boil and turn heat down to medium; cook until the pea and bean soup mix combination is beginning to soften.
Add the diced carrot to about 50% doneness.



Add potatoes and cook to approximately 50% doneness






Now the cauliflower and mushroom and continue cooking until all vegetablest are fully cooked without being mushy. Mix in the granular broth, stir well and you're done. StumbleUpon

7 comments:

cocoa and coconut said...

What a delicious sounding soup! I love soup too and could eat it often

kat said...

Bet its one of those soups that just makes you feel better

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

With the cold Artic breeze, or shall I say gale, that blew in yesterday this soup would be most welcome!!!!!

That Girl said...

I never thought of minestrone being a Jewish soup, until I recognized that Manishewitz package and my whole childhood came flooding back to me.

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a wonderful soup for a winter day. I'm relatively new to your blog and just wanted you to know I really like the food and recipes you feature here. I also love your photos. It is always pleasant to visit here. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Dharm said...

I always enjoy a good soup and this one looks great!

Bizzy said...

This sounds like such a warm filling soup.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
Share/Bookmark