Thursday, July 22, 2010

Kale and Hungarian Sausage Pasta




As you can see, I'm on a Kale experimentation journey. It's official - Kale is now my favourite vegetable and I'm looking forward to trying the different varieties. This pasta dish was so comforting with a good kick! I'm submitting this dish to the 173rd edition of Presto Pasta Nights. This week's hostess is Janet from The Taste Spice and we can't forget our fearless Pastarian, Ruth from Presto Pasta Nights/Once Upon a Feast .




1 bunch of fresh kale stripped from the ribs and coarsely chopped
2 spicy Hungarian sausages sliced (or mild if you don't like the heat)
1 medium onion, diced
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 lb shell pasta
2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
butter or margarine
1/2 cup Pecorino Romano cheese
4 cloves minced garlic

Start a pot of boiling water for the pasta While you are waiting for the water to boil, heat up the vegetable broth in a separate sauce pan under medium-high heat setting
While you are waiting for everything to heat up, rinse and dry Kale and begin to chop it. Once pasta water is boiling add water and cook according to package directions
Once finished chopping Kale, add it to the broth and let it simmer while pasta cooks.
Slice and brown the sausage it in a separate pan in oil for a few minutes. Add your chopped garlic to the sausage to bring out the flavors a bit. Drain the pasta once it is done cooking, and toss it with some butter (you decide how much).
Once drained and buttered, add to the skillet with the browned sausage. Add in the kale/broth mix and the .pecorino romano or parmesan cheese to taste.

Note: I didn't use the cheese. Instead I finished the pasta with a chili olive oil.
Chorizo would also be a fantastic sausage to use here. StumbleUpon

8 comments:

janet said...

I love that you paired kale with sausage. It sounds like a wonderful pasta. Thank you for your submission to PPN!

Patty said...

I am a gigantic fan of kale and have never put it in a pasta dish! So thank you for the inspiration! Now, I just wish I could get my family to get on the kale bandwagon....that would be a miracle!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I am happy to join you on your journey through the land of kale Giz!!

Ruth Daniels said...

Sounds great and as soon as the heat breaks and I can even think about heating TWO pots of liquid at the same time, I'll be making my own batch. Thanks for sharing with Presto Pasta Nights.

Hopie said...

I can't say I'm a big fan of kale, but if you keep experimenting, I might have to change my mind. This recipe looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

This looks to be a nice recipe once again..

Joanne said...

Kale is a good veggie to get hooked on. I love this pasta!

Jeanne @ CookSister! said...

Kale totalyl rocks - I had never tried it before I came to the UK and now it is one of my favurites. And you feel so... virtuous eating it! love the kals & sausage combo.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
Share/Bookmark