Monday, June 7, 2010

Matrimonial Cake


The weather has, for the most part, settled in to one beautiful day after the other. I don't really feel like spending alot of time indoors or being on the computer for long lengths of time other than to be blogging and feeding my addiction to Farmville. Ya, I know, I'm one of the ones who loads up my facebook profile with posts from F/V. It won't be long until Psychgrad and R get an intervention going.

This time of year I also miss being in a house with a garden and live vicariously through Psychgrad's garden. My little balcony can only accomodate a few pots of herbs and a tomato or two.




But, as I've mentioned before, being a condo dweller means you can't have the bbq at your place. Yesterday was one of those days and I was only too happy to contribute a dessert and help with the prep of hosting a BBQ.

In years gone by, there was one cake that always made it's way to the table in Western Canada. In fact, some might say it's distinctly Canadian although one of the first recipes on record came from Ohio.


Do you remember this type of graphic from the old cookbooks? If you don't then you're alot younger than I am. Come to think of it, most people are a lot younger than I am. This picture sat on top of a recipe for Matrimonial Cake. I'm just not sure if it's a cake, a square or a bar. No matter what you call it, it's easy, delicious and still popular with the crowd



Base:
2 cups oatmeal
2 cups flour
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter

Date Filling:
1/2 pound dates, pitted
2/3 cup water
1/4 cup sugar **
1 teaspoon lemon juice

Directions:

Base:
In a large bowl, combine oatmeal, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly.
Spread 3/4 of the crumbs in a 9 x 13 inch cake pan.

Date Filling:
Mix dates, water and sugar together in a saucepan. Cook until thick, stirring frequently.
Remove from heat and add lemon juice.
Allow to cool before using.
Spread over the crumbs in the pan. Sprinkle the remaining crumbs over top of the filling.

Bake at 350 degrees F. for 20 minutes.

** The dates are naturally sweet - the sugar really isn't critical to the mix. StumbleUpon

4 comments:

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Boy do I remember Matrimonial Cake Giz. It showed up at every function it seemed and was always one of the first things to go.My patio holds pots of herbs, which seem to do well without sunlight or care:D

Mary said...

There was always a pan of these at my house when I was growing up. Date squares were my father's favourite dessert. I love them!

Peter G | Souvlaki For The Soul said...

Does this mean if I have a slice of this cake I will get married? LOL! Jokes aside, it looks great...love the date filling!

high cholesterol diet said...

After studying this posting, I contemplated the exact same point that I invariably surprise about when scanning new blogs and forums. Just what do I think about this? Exactly how ought to it effect me? This and additional posts in your weblog right right here definitely give some stuff to look at. I fundamentally ended up right here by the use of Yahoo when I was very first performing some internet research for some course perform that I have. All the time excellent times searching by means of and I’m hopeful that you'll keep on writing new posts. Cheers!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
Share/Bookmark