Sunday, April 4, 2010

President's Choice - Healthier Options


I recently received some samples of the new Healthier Options promotion released by President's Choice



It's refreshing to see that the larger grocers are listening to their customers and paying attention to the potential health risks associated with poor diet and lifestyle. The marketplace is changing and producers as well as providers are having to think about how to stock shelves with thoughtful, health promoting foods at price points that don't kill the wallet.



I looked at the PC personal water filter bottle - great idea - instant filtered water with a replaceable filter that could reduce the number of plastic water bottles that end up in the environment. The bottle is plastic and intended to be reusable; I'm just wondering how safe the plastic is.

I put the sample of the unsweetened apple blend applesauce (apple cherry) to good use and added it to my morning smoothie. It was a great addition and and showed that it's more than just a portable snack. This one is a keeper for my fridge.



On movie night we popped up the butter flavoured mini popcorn that has only 100 calories. I admit, it's not replacing my favourite microwavable popcorn but the whole thing was eaten.



I'm a bit of a sucker for high protein granola bars and like to carry them with me in my purse. It's nutrient rich and really delicious.

The Blue Menu vegetarian chili, although lower in sodium than most packaged products is still too high in sodium for me. I shared this one with a neighbour who tells me that this was a find for him. He loves chili, doesn't cook, lives alone and has a microwave - what a perfect match that is.

This was a sampling and intrigued me to want to see more of the new options. How fortunate that a gift card was included.



I think I need to try the PC Blue Menu yogurt smoothie bars.

My experiences with President's Choice have, for the most part, been positive. From a consumer's perspective I see the company overall as forward thinking. Today I received an email several times over addressing the possibility of a particular independent store boycotting products from Israel. Since I live not too far from this store, it's something I plan to check out this week. Have any of you heard anything? I'm having a really hard time believing this is company based. StumbleUpon

4 comments:

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Great review Giz. I especially love the energy bars!

Cynthia said...

I'm a fan of President Choice's products. One of the best potato salads I have ever tasted and made has been with President Choice's full-fat mayonnaise.

Enjoyed your review.

girlaboutOtown said...

You're nominated!

http://www.girlaboutotown.com/2010/04/09/ottawa-blogging-spreading-smiles/

You make food fun. Thank you!

Chef Dennis Littley said...

Love your blog....I just recently signed up to BloggerAid, what a great cause...
I look forward to reading more of your posts!!
Dennis

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
Share/Bookmark