Sunday, March 22, 2009

Black Bottom Cupcakes


One of the life lessons that I've learned and come to embrace is that plans can change in a heartbeat. Today was "Giz gets to do whatever she wants day". I did everything to accomodate that day other than having it declared a national holiday (as if I had the power). It started off really well - made some hot coffee, started looking through cookbooks; more specifically baking books. My goal was to experiment with a new cupcake (new to me anyways) looking for an interesting prospect for the cupcake wedding cake we're planning for Psychgrad's wedding. I was looking at More from Magnolia and saw the black bottom cupcakes. I've seen them a few times on blogs and made my selection.

Just as I finished part 1 of the recipe there was a call from the lobby. My lovely niece, Ms "E" chimed, let me in Auntie Giz. I learned she was planning a trip to the mall (directly across from where I live) and .... "whoa Auntie Giz, you're making cupcakes....I get to ice". Ok, now I'm in trouble. "I called it Auntie Giz; you get to make supper and I'll ice but you have to make the icing and make sure it's pink". Bullied by a 12 year old - ok, so I don't mind that much although pink wasn't what I was thinking. "See you later Auntie G - going to the mall to spend all my mom's money".



Cream Cheese Filling

3/4 pound (one and a half 8-ounce packages)cream cheese (not softened)
1/2 cup sugar
1 large egg, at room temperature
1/3 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips

Cupcakes

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened Dutch process cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil (preferably canola)
1 cup buttermilk
2 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 F
Line 18 muffin tins with cupcake papers

To make the cream cheese filling:
1. In a medium-size bowl, beat the cream cheese and sugar until smooth.
2. Add the egg and beat well. Stir in the chocolate chips. Set aside.

To make the cupcakes:
1. In a small bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, beat together the oil and sugar. Add the dry ingredients in two parts, alternating with the buttermilk and vanilla, and making sure all ingredients are well blended.
3. Carefully spoon the cupcake batter into the cupcake liners, filling them about two-thirds full.
4. Drop a small scoop (about 1 1/2 Tbsp) of the cream cheese filling on top of each cupcake. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the center of the cupcake comes out clean.
5. Cook the cupcakes in the tins for 30 minutes. Remove from the tins and cool completely on a wire rack.

Considering that Ms. E isn't too familiar with piping, I think she did a pretty amazing job. The next real challenge will be to teach her how to properly clean up after herself.



The verdict: Really good cupcakes - keeping them on the list for "maybe these would be good for 1 variety for the wedding tower". StumbleUpon

13 comments:

Heather S-G said...

Yum! These look so good...that frosting! So fluffy! Send one my way :)

Ivy said...

They look really good but how did you make them pink?

kat said...

They certainly sound good & that is truly 12-year old girl pink

grace said...

i'm quite familiar with these fantastic cupcakes, although the pink icing is a new addition. i like it. :)

Maria said...

Ooooh, those look really good. I love cupcakes! Wedding tower--that sounds like a feat! Just watched a Food Network Cake Challenge and one of the wedding cake smade incorporated both cake and cupcakes in an interesting way.

Bunny said...

I love the pink color! It's so vibrant , how did you get it that color, what did you use??

giz said...

Bunny - I used the Wilton's Pink (the darker shade of pink) and 2 toothpicks of icing paste.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Little Miss "E" did a fine job....and they don't learn to clean up after themselves until they have a place of their own...wink...at least in my experience.

Rico said...

They just look amazingly delicious, I really enjoyed viewing these pink delights. :D

Unknown said...

Looks so good,congratulations.

Lori Lynn said...

They do sound good.
That is some color, what girl of any age could pass those up?
LL

Dharm said...

These look really good! I'd never heard of black bottomed cupcakes before this. I just love the pink icing too!

Anonymous said...

Please add the amount of sugar needed to the recipe!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
Share/Bookmark