Thursday, August 28, 2008

Chocolate Hazelnut Biscotti




This month's Cookie Carnival is chocolate hazelnut biscotti. Since I have this personal weakness for biscotti ( like a hook around the neck that pulls me straight to the biscotti - yes, that bad) I knew that in spite of the chaos I'm in living in, while trying to figure out how everything from a house is fitting into a condo (NOT - NOT EVEN CLOSE), I would clear the kitchen counter and join in. Cookie carnival is really a fun way of learning more cookie recipes and the beauty is that it's not a complicated thing to do. To find out more about being part of cookie heaven, check out The Clean Plate's site here .



Ingredients

1 1/2 cups hazelnuts, toasted, husked
3 cups all purpose flour
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 cups sugar
3 large eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. almond extract
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Preparation

Preheat oven to 350 F. Line heavy large baking sheet with parchment paper. Grind 1/2 cup toasted hazelnuts in processor. Set aside. Whisk flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Beat butter and sugar in another large bowl to blend. Add eggs and vanilla and almond extracts and beat until well blended. Beat in flour mixture. Mix in 1 cup whole toasted hazelnuts, chocolate chips and 1/2 cup ground hazelnuts.

Divide dough into 2 equal pieces. Shape each piece on baking sheet into 2 1/2 in wide by 14 inch long log. Place logs on prepared baking sheet spacing 2 1/2 inches apart (logs will spread during baking) Bake until logs feel firm when tops are gently pressed, about 35 minutes. Cool longs on baking sheet 15 minutes. Maintain oven temperature.

Using long wide spatula, transfer baked logs to cutting board. Using serrated knife, but warm logs crosswise into 1/2 inch thick slices.

Arrange slices, cut side down, on 2 baking sheets. Bake biscotti until firm, about 15 minutes. Transfer to racks and cool completely.

Chocolate Hazelnut Biscotti can be prepared ahead. Store in airtight container up to 4 days, or wrap in foil and freeze in resealable plastic bags up to 3 weeks.

StumbleUpon

22 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Mmmm - great looking biscotti! My husband's fave flavor is hazelnut so I hope to make this soon to go with his coffee!

kat said...

And that flavor is just two things that go together so well, I'd like one to dip in my mocha please!

Ivy said...

Glad to see you posting again. Chocolate and hazelnuts are such a great combination.

krysta said...

i sooooo need some biscotti now! and you must be wonder woman, moving or unpacking and making biscotti! i bow down to you.

giz said...

Joelen - you'll love it - it's really a great recipe and I didn't even bother to skin the hazelnuts
Kat - bet you can't just have one
Ivy - thanx - would much rather be blogging than unpacking boxes anyday
Krysta - so not wonderwoman - more like bitchwoman with masochistic tendencies

La Bella Cooks said...

I am a fan of anything chocolate and if you throw some hazelnuts into the mix, well then I am pretty much hooked. These look addictive!

OhioMom said...

Welcome back Giz, after moving 26 years of living into our apartment, DH and I sat and looked at boxes for over a week ... LOL ... the only thing we put up or in place right away was the bed and the kitchen :)

Those Biscotti look wonderful, I am having a cup a tea right now, and would love to nibble on one.

steph- whisk/spoon said...

they look perfect!

Adam said...

Dude, hazelnuts are great. Grab me a coffee and some biscotti, and my afternoon would be all set :) I would dunk those cookies just like Shaq back in 1995 :)

Lori said...

Great flavors. I see these in my near , near future. YUM

You all make the best things!

Anonymous said...

I bet the hazelnuts really stand out in this one...and with the chocolate...yum.

Anonymous said...

Chocolate and hazelnut. . . one of the all-time great combinations. These look terrific--and I'm not even a fan of biscotti!

The Peanut Butter Boy said...

Nice combo - once again nuts and chocolate pave the way for excellence! Hazelnuts and almonds are by far the best nuts for biscotti too. Great creation!

That Girl said...

biscotti is one of my mom's things - I've never made them.

Dewi said...

I love anything with hazelnut and chocolate. Your biscotti look scrumptious!

grace said...

nice job! i happen to be anti-biscotti--all i've ever had have wounded my gums--but these look great. methinks i've just been eating bad biscotti... :)

Laura Paterson said...

I'm a recent biscotti convert - since I did that Italian cookery course! Choc and hazelnut sound like a delicious combo :D

alexandra's kitchen said...

i love a good biscotti. I've never tried to make a chocolate variety. these look incredibly yummy.

Bunny said...

What a trooper you are to make these while your still trying to move!! I'd be nuts!! Speaking of nuts these looks so good,I've made biscotti once and this gives me reason to make it again!

Rosie said...

Oh wow stunning looking biscotti!

Rosie x

Jacque said...

That's the spirit! They look fantastic :)

Anonymous said...

Lovely photos! I'll admit that I've never had biscotti before, but I'm sure I would love them. Can't resist any kind of cookie really. :)

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
Share/Bookmark