Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Chef R's Big Salad


You wouldn't know it from the recipes I post (or eat), but I'm moderately lactose intolerant. I figure it's moderate because small amounts of dairy products don't have a major effect. But cream sauces pretty much kill me for the night. I think all of this is related to having IBD, which, during flare ups, makes any type of eating very difficult. Why do I mention this? As I type, I'm sitting next to a bottle of Tums (Gaviscon, which works better, is expired) paying for the consequences of today's post. Not to turn you off of it - because believe me, it tasted awesome while eating it. But, if you've got a sensitive stomach, this might not be a good recipe for you.

I'll call this recipe "Chef R's Big Salad" because R has been requesting a salad like this for about three years now. I'm thinking it's just another sign that we watch too much Seinfeld:



DRESSING (original recipe found here):
3 Tablespoons mayonnaise
1/4 cup olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 Tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
1 Tablespoon scallions, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard or 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard powder
2 garlic cloves, minced
juice of 1 lemon

In a jar or cruet, mix the mayonnaise, oil, sugar, pepper, parsley, scallions, mustard, garlic and lemon juice. Shake or whisk until emulsified.






In the salad, for vegetables, I included lettuce, tomato, cucumber and greenpepper:



To the vegetables, I added about 75-100 grams (each) of roast beef, ham and turkey. I also cut up some marble cheese, two hard-boiled eggs and garnished with parsley. Here are some pictures of the final product:



StumbleUpon

15 comments:

Peter M said...

This salad is simple enough for me to try out!

That Girl said...

Your salad is so pretty! Mine always look like the veggie truck just made a deposit.

giz said...

Kate - you made me laugh out loud - thanks for that. I had this visual of your comment.

PG said...

peter - a bit of prep, but very easy to make

kate - I put in the extra effort for picture purposes...but really, my salad just like a mesh of veggies.

test it comm said...

Great idea to pile deli meat on a salad with a tasty dressing. The salad looks good.

Pixie said...

haha I've missed that episode of seinfield- I think I should search for the nazi soup episode on you tube!

Great salad, looks fab!

PG said...

thanks Kevin!

Pixie - The soup Nazi segment would make a great intro for a great soup.

Pixie said...

I may just use it when I post my mum's recipe for minestra! but will of course link to this wonderful entry for your salad :)

Ivy said...

I followed Pixie's link. Your salad is so fabulous especially the dressing.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

The dressing sounds delicious :D

PG said...

pixie - great soup post! We should start a weekly post relating to some popular tv show :).

ivy - thanks for visiting! The dressing was really good. I would make it again.

bellini valli - thanks for visiting. It was by fluke that I had all of the ingredients in my fridge for the dressing. It was really good.

Peter M said...

Psych & Giz, I've posted my take on your salad...thanks for posting about it.

aprons for men said...

this is very good for those all out there that are vegetarian.

criticpapa said...

whoa!!!, you had a passion in blogging, thumbs up for yourwork of love.. Hehe very inspiring ideas,


anyway I'm william
mind if I put a link back to you?


(clickable) ------> Top Coats

CatCat said...

Mmmmm looks so mouthwatering. I love salads that's why I feel so hungry right now just by looking at your post, eh. This is perfect for vegans out there.

Cheers
Cathy@blood pressure gauge

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
Share/Bookmark